Why Buy a home in Pharr South.
At Pharr South you can enjoy the best of two worlds. You might never have heard of the City of Pharr. That’s okay. Pharr is a small city – only 23 square miles – but it has big city services and amenities because it is part of the 5th largest metropolitan area in Texas. As part of the McAllen – Edinburg – Mission metropolitan statistical area you have access to all the services and amenities of a major city, including superior medical care and excellent access to shopping and services. You will enjoy being within two miles of chains like Costco, Sam’s Club, Lowes, Home Depot, and Walmart. Also nearby is the La Plaza Mall, a large upscale shopping mall.
On the local level, Pharr South is situated near the intersection of US Highway 281 and Ridge Road. Here you within walking distance of a large “Super H-E-B” grocery store, CVS Pharmacy, Dollar Tree, ihop, Whataburger and McDonalds, as well as Feldmans Liquor, and many other shops and eating establishments.
Living in Pharr South is economical. For starters, Texas has no state income taxes. Most sources rate the cost of living in Pharr below the average for Texas, and considerably below the US average. One source rated the area as the number one most affordable place to retire in the United States.
- Our residents pay ZERO LOT RENT because all sales in our subdivision INCLUDE PRIVATE OWNERSHIP OF THE LOT much like a “site-built” residential community.
- Pharr South is a Deed Restricted Manufactured Home Community. The majority of the homes in our community have been extensively upgraded to brick or residential siding, metal roofing, and carports. Additionally, many of the homes have been expanded with site-built additions such as “Texas Rooms”, bathrooms, garages, workshops, and storage buildings. When you own a home in Pharr South you can make improvements to your property and home. Owning your lot means you are free to improve your lot as well. Feel free to add fruit trees, decorate the exterior of your home, or design a rose or cactus garden. Exterior improvements do require approval by our Architectural Committee in order to maintain our collective property values. Obviously, improvements must meet city building codes.
- Pharr South does have a limited number of RV lots. RV lots typically consist of a parking slab, utility connections, and some have Utility buildings and RV carports/roofs.
- A number of residential lots are of a size that permits the owner to use the lot for on-site parking or storage of the owners personal recreational vehicle.
- When you purchase a home in Pharr South you own your own land. Our annual association dues are only $780 per year. This low cost is made possible because our community enjoys participation from many volunteers who help maintain and improve our park.
- The Home Owners Association is responsible for maintenance and improvements of all common areas and facilities. The association, Property Owners of Pharr South, is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors each of whom are elected for a three year term.
- Our park has underground utilities. Gas rates are inexpensive, and several electric providers are available – select the one best for you. City services include weekly trash removal by Waste Management plus monthly yard waste removal. Water and trash removal is billed by the City of Pharr. Services can be put on vacation if you travel during the summer, thereby reducing costs.
Pharr Area Attractions:
The City of Pharr in the situated in the Rio Grande Valley. Our park is situated about 6 miles from the Mexican border, and about 70 miles inland from South Padre Island. Our latitude is approximately the same as Miami, Florida. The temperature typically varies from 52°F to 97°F and is rarely below 39°F or above 101°F.
There is a lot to see and do in Pharr and the surrounding area.
- Pharr is a prime area for bird watching. Birders come from all over the globe to catch a glimpse of some of the South Texas specialty birds. We are close to numerous birding sites including The Santa Ana and Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuges. There are NINE World Birding Center Sites in the Rio Grande Valley.
- The Rio Grande Valley is renowned for crop production. You will see acres of citrus trees, onions, cabbage, carrots, sugar cane, and a bunch of other green plants that we have not identified. The bottom line is that produce prices are quite reasonable and there are a number of farmers markets that are fun to shop.
- The Valley has seen a lot of history. The border has been disputed and fought over several times over the years, and there are numerous historical sites you can visit. The Palo Alto National Historic Park, located on the plain between Brownsville and Los Fresnos, is the location of the first battle of the Spanish American War. Another site, closer to modern day Brownsville, commemorates the battle of Resaca de La Palma, fought after the battle of Palo Alto.
- Also of interest is Boca Chica Beach – a sand spit on the north of the Rio Grande River where it enters the Gulf of Mexico. This was selected by SpaceX as a launch site for their private commercial rocket fleet. On the road to Boca Chica is a monument to Private John J. Williams, believed to be the last Union Soldier killed in the Civil War during the battle of Palmito Ranch on May 13, 1865. Occasionally extremely dry conditions cause the Rio Grande River to go underground, creating a land bridge to Mexico.
- Pharr and the Property Owners Association are not in the business of selling real estate. Most homes are for sale by the owners of the property. Park volunteers provide a web site that has a listing of homes for sale by owners. These volunteers also manage the home for sale by owners listing, conduct house tours, and provide tours during park open house days.
See what properties are currently available For Sale!
Follow this link to see the homes and RV lots currently available. Offerings change frequently, so check the list often.
Come to one of our weekend Real Estate Open Houses!
Due to the world wide Corona virus outbreak our real estate open houses are temporarily suspended until further notice in order to protect our residents. If you are interested in making Pharr South your home or winter retreat you can arrange a tour of our park and individual properties for sale with one of our real estate volunteers. Click the link on the paragraph above and scroll down the home page to contact one of the listed volunteers.